There is a great allure to not understanding something. I find if I get tripped up on something challenging, I enjoy investing time to understand it. I think a lot of people get this vibe. That a challenge serves us … Continue reading
Great artists are coming to Austin in the Spring and it’s worth getting excited about. The presale emails have been rolling out with new info and it seems like April alone could blow your mind. I always find a show I want to see, impulsively buy two tickets, and then find someone later who would want to go with me. If you want to go you have to make it happen. So pay attention to these artists playing in the Spring and pick up some tickets before they sell out.
Lucius @ the Parish, Jan 29th
Disclosure @ Stubb’s, Jan 31st
Lord Huron @ Emo’s, Feb 17th, 18th
Kodaline @ the Parish, Feb 20th
Lorde @ Austin Music Hall, March 2nd (…sold out)
Grouplove + MS MR @ Stubb’s, April 5th (…sold out)
Local Natives @ Stubb’s, April 9th
Arcade Fire @ 360Ampitheather, April 10th
HAIM @ Stubb’s, April 23rd (…sold out)
Vampire Weekend @ Stubb’s, April 24th, 25th (…sold out)
Bastille @ Emo’s, April 25th (….sold out)
London Grammar, Phantogram, Cherub, The Kooks, The Whigs, Glass Animals, Vance Joy, Wild Child, Max Frost, PAPA, NONONO, Brick + Mortar
with more announcements coming soon.
Well the end is here.
There were plenty of doubts going into the festival which you probably have heard: “Who the f are these headliners?” “Are they gonna be able to sell two full weekends??” In general, the weekend proved while we are no Coachella… we like it that way. Almost every artist commented on how much they loved Austin (seemed like everyone had a shoutout to SXSW) – I’m pretty sure HAIM even asked why they hadn’t moved here yet. Thank you ACL… you really never disappoint.
These are my strongest impressions of ACL.. and if you saw similar shows, you can probably relate to a bunch of them:
Ezra Keonig from Vampire Weekend is sexy even in a jumpsuit (he knows it too)
Purity Ring has the most hipster version of a drumset (lighting up orbs? I mean come on)
HAIM … “so what if we’re on like 1000 drugs when our music is damn good”
The overwhelming adult to youth ratio at Wilco proves we never have to stop going to these things
Although KOL played basically all new stuff, all any of us really needed to hear was Knocked Up, On Call, and TJG for it to be worth it
The lead singer of MS MR’s lime green hair >>>>>>>
Dawes will be making it big in about .5 seconds
Grouplove proved Cheetah bodysuits are still a thing (worn best with hightop converse)
You can’t hang with Phoenix unless you’re down to crowdsurf (gopro in hand)
- Favorite bands of the weekend: Local Natives, HAIM, Dawes, Phoenix
Koozie’s are your best friend
On that note… Be prepared to sell your soul for the price of beer
There’s not a thing you can do about being 5’4
Hitting the merch tent on a Sunday will leave you with a whole bunch of XS’s
Navigating the maze of lawn chairs is an art form mastered by none
& — a special shout out to pledge rides
Cheers to the best weekend of the year my friends.
So this upcoming week I am going to try to write a blog post everyday leading up to the first weekend of Austin City Limits. This post will kind of function as a guide for those who are trying to figure out the best way to do it this year, I sectioned it out and hopefully you can typecast yourself.
For the “Bro…. ACL’s lineup was just lame this year” (high schoolers, select frat guys)
- Kendrick Lamar is just about the only guy you are actually excited for this festival. Don’t miss Backstreet Freestyle for a solid grind sesh and a chance to yell at friends hogging the annual Everclear shots
- Internally debate whether to head back for your frat post-party or to sing along to about 2.5 songs at Kings of Leon (Use Somebody/Sex on Fire)
- Trip out with your friends at Kaskade and distance yourself far from all those hipsters
- Key to the festival – Power-through holding hot girls on your shoulders when all you really want is a bottle of water
- Bonus points for a scorpion make out
For the “music elitist”
- Make sure to yell over HAIM’s “Don’t Save Me” that you have seen this song performed better “like 3 or 4 times before this” to your neighbor
- Definitely avoid Vampire Weekend because they were only good when others didn’t like them
- VERY IMPORTANT – casually bring up in every conversation the amount of straight years you have been attending ACL & your aftershow schedule
- Key to the festival – Arrive for the 11 AM shows and leave around 4 when the bands start getting very “radio-y”
For the “hipster themed weekend” girls
- Hit up Free People three separate times this week to get the perfect outfit that shows how independent your spirit truly is
- DO NOT under any circumstances forget your flower headband **Cardinal rule
- And remember – if you don’t Instagram it… it’s like it never happened. I don’t care how bad your cell service is!!
- Make shit up about your opinion on Atoms for Peace (but where’s Bon Iver?? I loved him…)
- Key to the festival – Leave show immediately if another girl is wearing the same shirt as you (but you look better anyway so it’s fine)
Believe me… I’m guilty of annoying stuff too, it’s all in good fun.